Have you purchased your laptop recently and don’t know how to use F3 on Laptop? That might confuse you if you don’t know what actually F3 used for. Have you never used this key? Then you must be unaware of its working.
The location and working of the F3 laptop depend on the laptop model and manufacturing. Usually, the F3 key helps the user to search various files. The F3 key also changes the case of the letters.
Let me tell you what the working of the F3 key on each laptop is:
Table of Contents
What Is The F3 Key, And How To Use It?
The F3 key is the function key between your laptop keyboard’s F1 and F2 keys. It is a laptop’s shortcut key for various tasks. The location of the F3 key depends on the laptop model.
Mostly, the F3 key helps you locate the images, turn on and off the Wi-Fi, and perform any other task. Using the F3 key can help you enter any file or folder you seek. This shortcut key can take you where you want without directories.
After opening the program, press the F3 key. If you see any icon on the F3 key, it means it has another function. If you don’t know the secondary function of the F3 key, press and hold the Fn key and F3 key simultaneously.
If the secondary function is performed after pressing both keys, each key has a secondary function. So, whatever the laptop model you use, press and hold the Fn key with the F3 key to complete the secondary function.
Why And Where Do You Use The F3 Key?
F3 is the third key between your laptop keyboard’s F1 and F2 keys. This key is used for the search function of most programs. It helps users to locate files, folders, web content, and even program.
What type of work you want from the F3 key depends on your laptop model. It also depends on which folder you are in. The F3 key will start the Find operation if you are in Microsoft Word.
Find and Find Next options; are assigned to the F3 key as the default setting. If you are in Microsoft Excel, pressing the F3 key will activate the auto-complete feature. Here is the long list of where the F3 key can be used:
- Apple MacOS: if you use the Apple MacOS, the F3 key will open the Mission Control section.
- Microsoft Windows: If you use a laptop with Windows 7 or older, pressing the F3 key on the desktop will open the window to find the files.
- Microsoft Excel: The F3 key pastes the names in Microsoft Excel.
- Windows Explorer: In the Windows Explorer section, the F3 key is used for the searching.
- Microsoft Word: if you are in an MS Word document, pressing the Ctrl+ F3 key will lowercase the text you will highlight. Pressing the Shift+ F3 key changes the text from upper to lower case or can capitalize the first letter of each word.
- Microsoft Outlook: In Microsoft Outlook, pressing the Windows key+ F3 key will open the advanced find window section.
- Windows command line: In the MS-DOS, pressing F3 will repeat the last command you entered.
- Other uses: Pressing the F3 key opens the Search section on the laptop and finds the next searched value.
Secondary Functions Of The F3 Key
The F3 key has many more secondary functions, depending on the laptop model. Here are the secondary functions of the F3 key of all the laptops:
- Apple keyboard: Press the F3 key on the Apple laptop to access many useful functions. Press the Fn key and F3 key simultaneously to open the Mission Control section.
- Dell keyboard: F3 key is the functional key at the top row of the Dell keyboards. Pressing the F3 key will help you access various files and search for the desired file. The other secondary function of the F3 key is to mute and unmute the laptop’s volume.
- HP keyboard: pressing the F3 key on the Hp laptop will help you access various menus. The other function of the F3 key on the HP laptop is to increase or decrease the screen brightness.
- Lenovo keyboard: The F3 key secondary function on the Lenovo laptop is to increase or decrease the screen brightness. You can also use the F3 key to increase the live streaming volume.
Final Verdict: How to Use F3 on a Laptop
If you were looking for the reason behind the existence of the F3 key, then I hope this article benefited you. Choose the laptop model you are using and then follow the article’s instructions.