Is your laptop fan keep running all the time? It must be frustrating if you keep thinking, why does my laptop fan keep running. Here I am to provide you with the common causes and fixes.
Sometimes users complain that their laptop fan keeps running constantly, so they face trouble while working. The fan in laptops helps to cool down the internal components. Most laptop fans work for active cooling, ensuring proper transfer and circulation in the system. But still, users face the problem of their laptop fans keep running longer.
There could be many reasons behind this problem. If your laptop fan keeps running longer, it indicates the overheating of the system or internal components might have pruned or failed.
It can also happen if airflow gets blocked and the fan faces trouble in cooling down the system, so it keeps running for longer to let the system cool down properly. There are many more reasons which can cause this problem; let’s get to know what those causes are and their fixes:
Table of Contents
Common Causes of Laptop Fan Keep Running
If your laptop fan keeps running for longer, it could be due to many reasons. Here are some most common ones which can cause this problem for your system. If you observe any of these causes in your system, take immediate action before losing your laptop:
1. Intense Memory Programs
When you open or run the memory intense software or program on your laptop, the system works hard to prevent it from crashing and allocate enough memory. It causes the laptop fan to run louder and harder. The laptop fans start running harder whenever users open the memory intense programs, like 3D modeling software or heavy graphics games. If you like to play heavy memory games, get a high GB RAM or a new laptop with a lot of space to ensure better gaming time.
Overheating is one of the major causes of a continuous running fan. During summertime or under sunlight, the laptop fan starts running faster to keep the system cooler. High temperature causes several problems for the laptop, including overheating. The graphics processing unit (GPU) and graphics card are the laptop parts that heat up quickly. Once they get overheated, the entire laptop system faces a problem. Hence, your laptop fan starts running harder to cool down the system and perform better.
3. No Software Updates
If you have been using the laptop for longer but never updated its software more than one or two times, then this might be causing the laptop fan to work harder to run the system. Most laptop windows have an automatic update system; they update the laptop software whenever they get a new update notification. But many laptop models need proper installation and updated software after some time. So, damaged or old software also slows down after a few years and frustrates the users by giving poor results. Ensure to constantly update your laptop software to keep its components running smoothly. Constant updates keep the system cool and allow the fan to run smoothly.
4. Damage Laptop Fan
Sometimes, the laptop fan gets damaged and keeps running all the time. The laptop’s built-in fan gets damaged after a specific time. If you think you are using the laptop longer, replace its fan yearly to allow the system to run smoothly. Fans get damaged after some time, so they cannot cool down the system properly, which results in overheating and other problems.
Fixes To Stop Laptop Fan from Keep Running
Now, after knowing the causes of the continuous running fan, let’s know their fixes. Remember that sometimes, the continuous running fan is not a problem. It keeps running when you constantly keep working on your laptop. But continue running even after shutting down the laptop. There must be a problem, and you have t fix it immediately. Let me tell you the detailed fixes to this problem:
Fix 1: Clean the Components Of The Laptop
If you use your laptop for longer but do not clean it properly or use it after a long time and do not get a chance to clean it, the dust inside the components must be a problem. The build-up of dust inside the laptop components keeps the fan running and cooling down the system. Heat dissipation is the most important factor in working smoothly on your laptop.
The laptop’s overall performance will be affected if the system is overheated. So, the best solution to get rid of this problem is to clean the all-inner components of the laptop thoroughly. Follow the steps to do this:
- Unplug all the wires and devices from the laptop.
- Turn off the laptop.
- Remove your laptop battery from the system using the screwdriver if it is removable.
- Use a compatible screwdriver and remove the bottom cover of your laptop.
- Find and remove the laptop fan and clean it by using a soft brush.
- Remove the heat stink, and also clean it with the brush.
- Remove all the dust from the GPU and CPU of the laptop and give it a new layer.
- After cleaning all the components thoroughly, place the laptop components inside it again and put the back cover.
- You can also take your laptop to the authorized services center and ask them to clean your laptop components.
Fix 2: Check Laptop Updates
If you have not updated your laptop software for longer, there must be a bug or glitch in your software, making the system work hard. Laptop software gets old after some time; you have to update it after a specific time to get smooth working.
Check if any new update is available for your laptop software; it will help your laptop’s overall performance. Don’t you know how you can manually check your laptop software updates? Follow the steps given below to do this:
- Firstly, turn on your laptop.
- Go to the settings of the laptop.
- In Settings and click on Window Updates.
- The laptop will start searching for the latest update for your laptop.
- Once the new and latest update option appears on the screen, select and download it.
- After installing the update, click Install to download it into the system.
- Wait 2-3 minutes to let the laptop system restart with new features and updates.
- Now, again check whether your laptop fan is still running hard or not.
Fix 3: Change The Power Setting
There might be any changes occurring in your laptop’s power setting. The laptop’s changed, and unusual power settings also cause the fan to run harder and continuously. You have to change the power setting of our laptop again to let the laptop components not suffer and work smoothly. Follow the steps given below to change the settings:
- Turn on your laptop
- Go to the Start icon, which you can see in the screen’s bottom left corner.
- Click on Settings.
- Choose System and then Power and Sleep option.
- Under this setting, you will see Additional power settings; click on it.
- When the power plan settings appear on the screen, click the Change plan settings link across to the existing power settings.
- Click on Change advanced power setting. The new window with power options will appear on the screen.
- You have to extend the Processor power management and then the system cooling policy.
- Change the setting from Active to Passive and hit on Apply.
- Click on Ok to apply the setting in your system.
- Restart your laptop and see if the issue has been resolved now or still exists.
Fix 4: Attach External Cooling Hardware To The System
Laptop fan is still running continuously after the above fixes? You must purchase an external cooling device to cool your system down. Sometimes, the laptop fan works harder, but the system does not cool down easily, which means the fan is old or insufficient to let the system work smoothly.
You must buy accessories to help your laptop cool down and maintain its internal temperature. Cooling pads are the best tools, many people use to reduce the fan running problem.
You have to fix these pads below the laptop to assist the fan inside the laptop. So, attaching any device or tool to the laptop can help your laptop work smoothly and will lessen the working of the fan.
Fix 5: Check the Utilization of The Processor
Knowing which programs or tasks are running with your processor will help reduce your laptop’s continuous running. Following this way, you can reduce the usage of the extra tasks and programs running on the laptop. If you don’t know which programs are being used by your laptop processor, then follow the steps given below:
- Press and hold the Ctrl +Alt +Delete keys simultaneously.
- When the options appear on your laptop screen, choose ‘’Task Manager’’.
- The first view will tell you your processor’s current workload.
- Click on the CPU to see which apps are consuming the most.
- If any unnecessary program runs in the system, right-click on it and select End task.
- You can follow these paths if a task does not shut down because you are using it.
- Reduce the usage of one or more tasks running on the internet. It means closing the extra tabs from Google and only using 2-3 tabs simultaneously.
- Ensure the use of the tabs alternatively; it means if you are using one window, close down the other window till then. When you finish that program, close it and open the other one. It will help your laptop system work efficiently and smoothly.
Fix 6: Clean the Air Vents of The Laptop
If your laptop fan still keeps running all the time after doing so many things, then there must be an issue with its air vents. Air vents are the laptop fan’s most important part, which helps heat dissipation and cool down the system. Air vents only work best when they are clean and clear from dust or debris particles. You have to make sure that your laptop’s air vents are clean.
Cleaning the air vents does not require a lot of hard work. If they are blocked, the extreme heat in the system will make the laptop system overheat and cause several problems. So, cleaning air vents is a necessary task that you have to do after every few days. Follow the steps to clean the air vents of your laptop:
- Turn off your laptop and unplug all the devices and wires from it.
- Take a vacuum cleaner and clean the air vents properly and softly.
- Never clean with any hard hairbrush; it will harm the laptop’s components.
Why Does the Fan on My Laptop Keep Running?
There are many reasons which can cause this problem for your laptop fan. The most common symptoms of your laptop fan keep running are high RAM usage, overheating, disk usage, lack of airflow, and dust and debris in the fan.
All these causes are the root of other causes. Most of the reasons cause overheating in the system, which badly affects the laptop’s performance. If your laptop fan keeps running constantly, locate the problem first and then resolve the issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is My Laptop Fan So Loud All of a Sudden?
The loud noise of the laptop fan is due to the high internal temperature, which is 100% caused by the high RAM usage, disk usage, lack of airflow, and dust and debris in the fan. Sometimes the loud noise of the laptop is normal if it gets old. But if you recently purchased it and it is making noise after a few months, investigate and fix the problem.
Why Is My Laptop Fan Running on Idle?
Many reasons can cause this problem of running the fan when the laptop is idle. The most common ones are poor ventilation, dust accumulation, corrupt processes, malware attacks, and incorrect placements. Sometimes, laptop fans also make noise when they are smaller. The solution to this issue is to upgrade your laptop’s software, change its hardware or move it to a cooler place.
Is It Ok for A Laptop Fan to Keep Running All the Time?
Laptop fans can keep running all the time at a lower speed. The speed of the laptop fan increases with time and workload. If you are using your laptop for longer, and its fan start running all the time, then there must be a problem. Louder and harder fan running are the symptoms of any internal laptop problem.
Final Verdict: Why Does the Fan On My Laptop Keep Running
If you are worrying about why your laptop fan keeps running constantly, there must be many reasons behind it. Reading the article must have provided complete information about why it is happening and their fixes. Mentioning these causes does not mean there could be only one of these causes. It might be any other problem with your laptop fan. I’ve described the most common ones, which mostly occur with people. You need to locate the problem first and then fix the problem.